Thursday, June 4, 2009

Basic Info on Home Canning

I found a great website giving some great basic information on home canning. It talks about "safe canning", altitude information, home canning essentials (like low acid and high acid foods). This also is a great link for further information on home canning.

Here's a quick way that I found to sterilize your jars. That is sometimes the hardest part of the process, so if I can find a quick and easy way to do it...awesome! Cleaning them with just soap and water is not going to be good enough. You want to preserve the food as long as possible and sterilizing them will keep the canned items from going bad.

The Arizona Extension gives processing times for some foods.

There is a lot of good information out there. It's just taking the time to research. Hopefully I have helped a little with the process.

No comments: