Ok, a friend of mine asked if I knew how to make the masa for corn tortillas (I didn't) and how we store the lime that is used to make the corn masa. Well, after talking with some friends they informed me that the lime is not actually the green fruit from a tree. It is actually:
Calcium hydroxide, traditionally called slaked lime, hydrated lime, or pickling lime, is a chemical compound with the chemical formula Ca(OH)2. It is a colourless crystal or white powder, and is obtained when calcium oxide (called lime or quicklime) is mixed, or "slaked" with water. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_hydroxide).
I guess it pays to ask questions. So it would seem that we can have this in our year supply. I have no idea what the shelf life is on this powder.
The link on the title will take you to Food Network where you will find the recipe for making the corn masa and the corn tortillas.
No comments:
Post a Comment