Thursday, June 19, 2008

Freezing Eggs

Whole eggs: Break desired number of eggs into a bowl. Mix to blend whites and yolks; avoid incorporating air. Package, allowing 1/2" headspace and freeze up to 6 months.

Egg whites: Separate whites from yolks. Package, freeze up to 6 months.

Egg yolks: Measure yolks. For each cup of yolks, add 1/2 to 1 tablespoon light corn syrup or sugar or 1 teaspoon of salt. Mix to blend, avoid incorporating air. Package, freeze up to 6 months.

**Egg yolks do not freeze as well as whites and whole eggs, but are suitable for making sauces, custards, and casseroles.

Taken from Idaho Falls 1988 Preparedness Fair.

2 comments:

Suzette Haynie said...

Has anyone tried this? I would love to be able to have emergency eggs for baking and even the occasional scrambled egg and toast dinner. I haven't ever purchased dry eggs and would be interested on anyone's opinion as well.

Suzette Haynie said...

Has anyone tried this? I would love to have emergency eggs for baking and the occasional scrambled egg and toast dinner. I am curious about powdered eggs too if anyone has any information.